The Bronko Nagurski Trophy has been awarded annually since 1993 to the Collegiate Footballer rated by members of the Football Writers' Union Association of America (FWAA) to be the best defense in the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the prize is awarded by Charlotte Touchdown Club and the FWAA. The award is named Bronko Nagurski, who played football at the University of Minnesota and Chicago Bears.
Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had a tough couple of days, a loss in the last second in the championship game of the Big 12 with the loss of their luggage on their way to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy banquet.
Suh Behind came just in time on Monday at slip in his dark suit and shiny black shoes, learn that he was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and then win the Nagurski defensive player as the top nation.
Past winners of the award are listed here :
- 2008 Brian Orakpo Texas
- 2007 Glenn Dorsey LSU
- 2006 James Laurinaitis Ohio State
- 2005 Elvis Dumervil Louisville
- 2004 Derrick Johnson Texas
- 2003 Derrick Strait Oklahoma
- 2002 Terrell Suggs Arizona State
- 2001 Roy Williams Oklahoma
- 2000 Dan Morgan Miami
- 1999 Corey Moore Virginia Tech
- 1998 Champ Bailey Georgia
- 1997 Charles Woodson Michigan
- 1996 Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern
- 1995 Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern
- 1994 Warren Sapp Miami
- 1993 Rob Waldorf Arizona