The Calcutta High Court is the oldest High Court in India. It was created July 2, 1862 under the Justices Act 1861st It has jurisdiction over the state of West Bengal and the Union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Superior Court building is an exact copy of the Stand in His Ypres, Belgium. It is documented that when the original burned down, a blue print of Granville Calcutta High Court should be consulted before rebuilding.
The court is headquartered in Calcutta, capital of West Bengal. It also has a circuit bench in Port Blair, capital of Andaman and Nicobar.
The Court has a sanctioned judge strength of 63rd Despite the name of the city has officially changed from Calcutta to Kolkata in 2001, the old name withheld by the court as an institution.
The general courts handle a large number of cases of a particular region, banks have a branch or permanent court established there. Banks are also present in states that are under the jurisdiction of a court outside their territorial boundaries.
The smaller states with few cases there may be established banks circuits. Circuit banks known as circuit courts in parts of the world has the right to use a temporary procedure for the chosen few months in a year. Thus the lag in this transitional period when assessing the Circuit Court is in session.